"In seeking the truth, I am both a scientist and philosopher. The scientist part of me wants to know how, while the philosopher part of me wants to know why." Jason Jordaan
Jason is also an active academic, researcher, author, speaker, advisor, and trainer. He is a member of the faculty of the SANS Technology Institute. He teaches digital forensics and is a course author for the SANS Institute. He has taught digital forensics to some of the leading law enforcement agencies, intelligence services, and military units in the world, including the FBI, US Secret Service, London Metropolitan Police, UK National Crime Agency, US Special Operations Command, Australian Air Force, the German Army, and more.
He is actively involved in mentoring law enforcement digital forensic practitioners as a member of IACIS. His author has been published in several peer reviewed journals, with his recent research focusing on quality assurance in digital forensics. Jason is also a co-author and contributing author to several books.
He is a member of the Advisory Board for the University of Pretoria, the SANS Institute, and served as an advisor to the South African Deputy Minister of Justice for the development of the South African Cyber Crime Act. Jason is also an assessor for the Netherlands Register of Court Experts, where he is responsible for assessing the competence of digital forensic experts for the purposes of testifying in Dutch criminal trials.
Jason holds a MSc degree in Computer Science (Cum Laude), a MTech degree in Forensic Investigation, a BComHons degree in Information Systems, a BSc degree in Criminal Justice Computer Science (Summa Cum Laude), and a BTech degree in Policing.
He is a member of several professional bodies and hold the following certifications and post-nominals: CFCE, CFE, MCSFS, PMIITPSA, FP (SA), and M.INST.D(SA).
He also holds the following GIAC certifications: GBFA, GCFE, GCFA, GCIH, and GCCC.
- 20+ year veteran of the digital forensics field
- Former National Head of the Cyber Forensic Laboratory of the Special Investigating Unit in South Africa, which he developed
- Principal Instructor for SANS FOR500: Windows Forensic Analysis
- Teaches digital forensics and incident response at Rhodes University
- Serves on the Advisory Board for the Department of Computer Science at the University of Pretoria
- Law enforcement officer mentor in the Asia Pacific region and Europe.
- Trainer, lecturer, and mentor in the field of digital forensics since 2010
- Researcher and writer whose work has been published in several textbooks and academic journals
Get to Know Jason Jordaan
- Company website: with Jason on FraudCast: with Jason by The TechGuy
ADDITIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS BY JASON JORDAAN:
Securing Your Future in DFIR, April 2020
SANS CyberCast SANS@MIC - Building Your Foundation: Getting Started in Digital Forensics, March 2020
Understanding the Forensic Science in Digital Forensics, July 2019
Behind the Incident, October 2019
Tips and Techniques for Testifying Successfully, March 2018
Working with the Lawyers, February 2018
So You Have to Testify, Now What?, February 2018