A few students submitted work to SANS Technology Institute (STI) that was poorly written (grammar or otherwise), rushed, lacking research/references, etc. As a result, STI determined that a regrade fee for re-dos needed to be implemented. It is not expected that the regrade fee for re-dos will need to be instituted often. Instead it is expected that the initial work that is submitted will be better. The regrade fee for re-dos is described below.
A re-do is not automatically allowed. In a few cases, it will be clear to STI that the submission must receive a failing score without opportunity to re-do it. If STI authorizes a re-do, then a regrade fee of $125 will be charged to the student.
The regrade fee will apply to:
- Presentation Community Project Requirement
- Group Discussion and Written Project * Community Project Requirement
- Joint Written Project * Community Project Requirement
- Presentation Course assessment (when the Presentation Course becomes implemented)
- Work Study Essay on Leadership
- Written Assignments/Substitute Assignments. (Written Assignments/Substitute Assignments include submissions such as assignments provided to the student by STI when there is no GIAC exam and/or Gold, reflections, etc.)
- The issue of whether or not to allow a re-do and under what conditions is more complicated for the following situations, so they will be decided on a case-by-case basis by the STI Committee:
- WorkStudy Community Project Requirement
- Teaching Assistant Community Project Requirement
*For the Group/Joint Projects, the partners will decide how to split the fee - probably equally. In the unlikely event that the partners cannot decide how to split it, STI will develop a type of mediation process.
If a re-do is authorized, the student must re-do it within one year (or less time if they have less than a year left to complete the program) after the student is notified that he/she did not pass and are authorized to re-do it.
The regrade fee will apply to new STI students and also to existing STI students (unless the existing student already had permission to do a specific re-do at no cost).
The above policy concerns regrade fees imposed by STI. It does not affect any fee that SANS or GIAC may impose, for example, if a student needs to retake a GIAC cert or resubmit a GIAC Gold paper in order to obtain a higher score.