Admission requirements are the same for all graduate student applicants, though students wishing to use GI Bill® benefits will need to provide additional documentation as detailed below.
Before beginning the application process, please review all admissions procedures that apply to your academic program of interest:
- Master's Degree Programs Admission Procedures
- Master's Degree Programs Admissions Guide (downloadable)
- Graduate Certificate Programs Admission Procedures
- Graduate Certificate Programs Admissions Guide (downloadable)
Our Veterans Education Benefits - Admissions Overview and Instructions can be downloaded here.
Admissions Steps for Veterans
- If you meet the eligibility requirements for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, or other GI Bill benefits such as the Montgomery GI Bill, you will be required to choose which benefit you wish to receive. For some individuals, your choice may be irrevocable. The Post-9/11 GI Bill may provide a better benefits package in terms of eligibility criteria, period of eligibility and financial value in comparison to existing educational benefit programs that remain in effect. However, the best program for you, if you are eligible for multiple educational benefit programs, will depend on your individual circumstances. For more information, please visit the VA's GI Bill Website.
Complete the Veterans Online Application, or VONAPP, for VA Educational Benefits
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs VONAPP enables you to apply for veterans education benefits. You can submit applications for educational benefits online at https://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/default.asp
- VA Form 22-1990 - If you are a veteran/service member who has never claimed benefits before or are changing chapters.
- If you are on Active Duty you will need to have your Education Service Officer or Command representative complete and sign Section II of the VA Form 22-1990.
- VA Form 22-5490 - If you are a dependent of a veteran who has never claimed benefits before under the chapter you are requesting, including Fry Scholarship
- VA Form 22-1990E, Application for Family member to use Transferred Benefits. You'll need a letter of approval from DoD.
Apply to a SANS Technology Institute graduate program. The application fee for applying to the MSISE or MSISM programs is $100 and is not covered by GI Bill. There is currently no application fee for the graduate certificate programs.
Please follow the standard application process for your intended graduate program, listed above.
Submit the following forms to email@example.com, for our review with your application materials.
Due to personally identifiable information, please mail the following additional documents:
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended or training received (if applicable). Please note we will accept transcripts electronically if they are sent directly from your institution.
- Copies of most recent Award (Benefit) Letter / Certificate of Eligibility from the VA.
- A copy of your DD 214 Discharge Paperwork (If you do not have a copy of your DD214, you may order it at: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html)
- If you are a member of the Selective Reserve please include a copy of DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility which was given to you by your unit when you became eligible for the MGIB-SR. Please submit the above documents to: SANS Technology Institute Attn: Graduate Admissions PO Box 124575 San Diego, CA 92112
Processing times for first time applicants can take six to eight weeks. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon to get a letter from the VA requesting more information. You will have to answer VAs requests to be determined eligible and complete the process. We recommend applying for benefits before applying for admission to one of our programs to ensure timely processing of benefits.
The Admissions Committee will only begin evaluation of an application upon final receipt of all necessary components. Once an application is complete, the admissions committee typically takes fewer than 30 days to finalize a decision.
If you receive an invitation to matriculate:
- Admitted students work with an appointed student advisor to complete a Course of Study Plan and Funding Discussion.
- Submit a signed Offer of Admission & Course of Study Plan.
- Complete a course certification request form and register for at least three credit hours within the first sixty days of enrollment. Please email course certification request forms to VABenefits@sans.edu
For any additional questions regarding this process, please feel free to email VABenefits@sans.edu.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.