Using Your GI Bill® at SANS Technology Institute

Using Your GI Bill® at SANS Technology Institute

This page is designed to help students understand the basics of how GI Bill® benefits work at SANS Technology Institute ( For detailed information, review the course catalog for your intended program.

What is covered?

  • All distance courses taken as a part of SANS Technology Institute's ( accredited programs (single courses not approved for GI Bill®)
  • Live courses taken within Maryland

How do benefits work at

  • Students take courses one at a time
  • Most of our graduate courses qualify for full housing allowance benefits
  • Undergraduate courses with accelerated course terms qualify for some housing allowance benefits
  • Housing allowance benefits span the entire course term, regardless of modality

How are VA payments made to me?

  • Students can expect to receive payments from the VA at the beginning of each month, for the enrollment period of the previous month.

What should I know if I'm using Chapter 31, Veteran's Readiness and Employment (VR&E) at

  • Please review this document with your VR&E Counselor. Students using Ch 31 benefits are required to have an approved VR&E Authorization on record prior to starting New Student Orientation (NSO).

Ready to get started?

  • You will need to submit your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA during your admissions process, before starting New Student Orientation.
  • If you have never used GI Bill® before, visit and follow the prompts to apply for the first time. Use the following address:
    • SANS Technology Institute
      11200 Rockville Pike Suite 200
      North Bethesda, MD 20852
  • If you have used GI Bill® before, you will need to use these instructions for changing institutions.

We strongly recommend that you start this process immediately after submitting your application to the SANS Technology Institute, to prevent registration delays, as we cannot certify courses to the VA without your Certificate of Eligibility.

What info can STI provide? What info can the VA provide? What info can YOU provide?
Using GI Bill® at Eligibility determination Amount of remaining benefits
Distance vs live courses Payment questions Current address with the VA &
Switching GI Bill® to Amount of remaining benefits
Balancing GI Bill® with other funding sources

For more information from the VA: visit Click on the "Contact Us" tab and then the "Ask a Question" tab. Or you may call the VA toll free at 1-888- GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at