Like many in cyber security, AJ feels the industry found him, rather than the other way around. As a Signal Officer in the US Army, AJ was thrown into helping solve challenging cybersecurity issues faced by him and his soldiers. The work was exciting due to the ever-changing technology and constant uncomfortableness that promoted development. After serving nearly 6 years in the Army, AJ chose to continue on the cybersecurity path due to the challenges and growth that comes with it by starting with a Masters of Science in Technology Management from Georgetown University. Simultaneously, he began working as a Principal in SOC-ISO-Healthcare for Coalfire developing and auditing control frameworks. He has performed hundreds of audits including assessments covering SOC 2, ISO, PCI, FedRAMP, and HIPAA standards or regulations. These audits were performed on some of the largest SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS companies in the world and throughout that process he learned that manual audits are painful and do not add value.
In 2020, AJ co-founded ByteChek – a cybersecurity SaaS company hosted on AWS - to “help compliance suck less” through an automated compliance assessment platform that helps organizations of all sizes solve their compliance needs and earn reports such as SOC 2, ISO 27001, CSA STAR Level 1 and Level 2, and more.
AJ’s focus in cyber security is on the people, not the credentials. Beyond customers, AJ is proud to support interns working to enter the industry in order to gain hands-on experience. Watching others develop, move on to bigger and better things, and knowing he has positively impacted a person’s life is part of AJ’s motivation to become a SANS Instructor. He works to build meaningful relationships that positively impact the lives of real people while improving their daily work. He brings this approach into the classroom through a community focused, shared learning experience that encourages collaboration and open communication among students and instructor, as each has something to teach the other.
AJ enjoys teaching SEC557: Cloud Security and Continuous Compliance because he personally knows the pain and time consuming aspect of cybersecurity audits, and the premise of the course aligns with his mission at ByteChek. The concepts and techniques taught in this course can empower students from any background to take the complexity and mundane work out of audits. He believes the biggest challenge for students in this course is the volume of hands-on labs, which while an excellent way to reinforce learning, can be overwhelming for students newer to the technologies. AJ walks through labs side-by-side with students and provides live demos of how labs are intended to be executed to ensure students’ success and complete learning.
AJ is a Founding Board Member of the National Association of Black Compliance and Risk Management Professionals (NABCRMP), an Advisory Board member for CISOMag, on the Board of Directors of the ISC2 Miami Chapter, and speaks on/at information security podcasts and events while also contributing to blogs and articles including publications in CISOMag, InfosecMag, HackerNoon, and ISC2. He holds the following industry certifications:
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect- Professional
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect- Associate
- AWS Certified Developer- Associate
- AWS Certified Sysops Associate
- AWS Certified Security Specialty
In his spare time, AJ enjoys golf, watching basketball, and enjoying the beautiful weather and beaches of Miami.
ADDITIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS BY AJ
- CloudSecNext Summit 2022 Co-Chair, May 2022
- New2Cyber Summit 2022 Co-Chair, March 2022
- CloudSecNext Summit 2021 Co-Chair, June 2021
- BIPOC in Cloud Forum, Speaker, Feb 2021
- Quick Wins in Cloud Compliance: AWS, Aug 2022
- Burnout and Employee Well Being, March 2022
- SOC 2 TSCs, Jan 2022
- #ShareTheMicInCyber and SANS: From Speaking Opportunities to Faculty Position, Oct 2021
- Why Being a Destructive Architect is the Way Forward for Black in Tech, July 2021
- SANS 2022 Cloud Security Exchange, Aug 2022
- An Easier Way to Multi-cloud, Multi-account Cloud Compliance, Aug 2021
- Leveraging OSQuery for Compliance - A Recovering Auditor’s Perspective, Aug 2021
- Why You Need Automation to Achieve Compliance in the Cloud, July 2021
- Implementing an Effective Multi-Account Strategy on AWS, CloudSecNext Summit, June 2021
- Automating Security on AWS, BIPOC in Cloud Security Forum, Feb 2021
CHEAT SHEETS & POSTERS
- How To Effectively Set Up AWS CloudTrail in 5 Steps, July 2020, (ISC)2
- 3 Ways to Solve the Cybersecurity Talent Gap, July 2020, CISO Mag
- How To Eliminate Leaky S3 Buckets Without Writing A Line Of Code, July 2020, Hacker Noon
- 3 Signs That Your Company Has A Security First Mindset, July 2020, CISO Mag
- Developing a Central Control Framework for Large Enterprises, June 2020, InfoSecMag
- Why You Should Use IAM Policies to Enforce MFA on AWS, May 2020, Medium
- Business Associates in the Digital Healthcare World, May 2020, ISC2 Miami Chapter
For more publications, review AJ's LinkedIn Page.